How do I fix myself?
Posted on August 16, 2017
A couple of months ago my sister ( God bless you!) got me a birthday present to go and see the amazing Iyanla Vanzant in London. I remember sitting on the plane down there thinking this is one step closer to meeting my ‘imaginary’ mentor Oprah Winfrey…LOL. I was not entirely ready for what I experienced that night. Iyanla blew me away, her honesty, her sass just took my thinking to a whole new level.
Iyanla shared with us a great wealth of wisdom and one of the things I took home with me was her guide on ‘how to fix yourself.’ As a woman I have gone through far too much pain for a human to take. I have struggled with childhood traumas, bad relationships, stupid choices and even my health. Each of these experiences have made me who I am today but boy did they mess up my mind FOR FAAAR TOO LONG!!!
You really don’t realise how your childhood experiences affect you as an adult until you find yourself dating some loser…cheating, violent and broke (would you allow your child to be cared for by someone like that?). Or when you are surrounded by girls whose main objective is to bag a rich man (why don’t you get an education and start that business or work towards getting that dream job instead?). Every friendship you have fails because of your actions. You easily take marital advice from a person who has been divorced 3 times or someone who does not even have a boyfriend…If you or a loved one became sick would you take them to an Accountant?? Why are you so angry? Always arguing and always have to be right…SMH.
There comes a point in your life when you realise that its not them its ME. That is the point you really start healing and the point where you can start fixing your self. I had to dig deep. I got rid of the noise (fake friends, guilt, shame) and I embraced the woman God created me to be. So let me be real with you…I had to re-evaluate my relationship with God and from there He directed me. I am here today because of Him.
Discover the beauty within and then the real beauty all around you will emerge. I live in the Highlands of Scotland (Gods country) I am surrounded by the beauty of the native Scots pine in the Caledonian forests, the majestic Black Cullins on Isle of Skye, the great Estates where stately homes and castles have stood for centuries. This beauty challenges me daily to walk, to think and to talk.
Recently I visited Trumpan Church, Kilmuir which is now a ruin, once a place of worship…still is when you step into the ruin…there is a stillness that overwhelms you. Despite the brutal incident of 1578 I am reminded that life is fragile and I must live as God made me to live it.
Iyanla suggested some steps on how to fix yourself to get a fuller picture on this please buy some of her books…
: my thoughts are in brackets.
- Have a daily spiritual practice, connect with your centre…still the mind. ( If the first thing you do when you wake up is check your phone then you will become just like the things you follow. You are alive – thank the God that woke you up not Mark Zuckerbergs 3 social media platforms)
- Get yourself a theme song and live it! ( look it does not have to be a christian song just anything that motivates you and speaks to you on the inside – her song is Its my time – Kelly Price)
- Have a vision that pulls you forward. ( at this point if you do not have a vision we really can not be friends *rolls eyes*)
- Forgive everyone and yourself ( If you still hold bitterness over something that happened years ago even yesterday please watch this 4 part sermon by Pastor Howard-John Wesley)
- Adapt a gratitude attitude. (look stop moaning and thank God that you are able to even read this blog)
Take care of yourself…look inside!